Friday, December 5, 2008

85 stitches

I was going to start this off by saying that I've been working really closely with one girl from the streets for more than a month now, but I don't like the term "working."  To me, this isn't a job; it's life.  And she isn't a project; she's a friend.  And her life is incredibly important to me.  

Like all the kids on the street, she's hurting.  Her life has been a difficult one, full of poverty, abuse, and drugs.  It's enough to harden anyone's heart and fill it with bitterness.  But despite all that's happened to her in the 20 years of her life, she somehow still has a kind, caring spirit.  She is such a blessing to me!  

Nevertheless, last Sunday, she hit rock bottom again and cut up her thighs with a piece of glass.  Thankfully some police found her bleeding profusely and called an ambulance to rush her to the hospital.  She ended up getting about 85 stitches. 

She wants to get away from the bridge and has started actively seeking out rooms for rent.  It's a long, up hill battle, and the reality is that the streets are addictive and have kept her in bondage for years.  But I'm not going to lose hope that maybe this time we can really help her move forward in life.  

Please keep her in your prayers - even though you don't know her name. 

1 comment:

Monsieur Rodgers said...

Amy, I saw your post title and instantly was concerned for you. As I read on and realized it was not you and was for someone you were working with, I was relieved that it was not you. These girls are blessed to have you in their lives. You show God's care and concern for them. May God continue to protect you.