Saturday, April 4, 2009

who needs furniture?

I strive to live a simple life without many possessions or clutter, and my big desire is to someday move into something mobile - van, RV, or boat - and ditch houses altogether.  I've avoided buying any furniture so far, with the exception of a stove and a good mattress (gotta eat and sleep).  I was given a TV and microwave, and someday I'll pass them on to someone else.  As much as I don't want to own stuff, I know that empty rooms don't work well for ministry activities, and so I've been lucky to have dining room tables and other random bits of furniture come with both of the houses that I've lived in since October.  (And I've discovered that empty cardboard boxes with covers on top make for great end tables.)

At the moment, I have one of the street girls staying at my house because the night shelter has been closed for a few days.  I'm working really closely with her, and she's doing really well, so neither one of us want her to sleep up at the bridge.  I've been to her mom's "house," which is really just one room with a bed frame and straw mattress, teeny-tiny TV, a wooden shelf, and some boxes.  She tried to move in with her mom, but her mom wouldn't take her back, so we're working out Plan B.  

When she first got here, I showed her around the house (see photos here) - my bedroom with a mattress on the floor, the living room with a piece of 6" foam on the floor for a sofa, and the guestroom with another piece of 6" foam for a bed.  She looked a little puzzled and asked me, " Is this how people live in your country?"  I guess my standards are even weird for Bolivia.  

Anyway, I'm taking her to interview for a couple different jobs today. So say a prayer!!!

2 comments:

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

Ha! I love that she asked you that! But seriously if I were you I'd be living the same way - as frugally as possible :)

Kelly said...

Your house looks awesome! I've always had such a hard time with clutter! I do purges all the time but the junk seems to multiply anyway. Especially with kids!