Some the street kids will go to visit their relatives for the night to have a big family feast at midnight, as is the tradition. But there are a lot of lonely kids on the streets that are going to get really high tonight to numb the pain of being orphaned, abandoned, or kicked out of their homes. Others will get high because they just don't want to visit home and have to deal with drunken, abusive parents.
I hate being half a world away. This was a lousy time for a vacation.
2 comments:
Oh Amy, I feel for you!! I spent 8 hours on the phone with airlines to be able to get back by Christmastime! I don't know WHAT I was thinking.
If I'd known earlier I would have done something for the kids... I've been thinking about them a lot since I got back and want to visit soon.
I'm actually surprised to know that some of them even go home for Christmas Eve...
I'm really not enjoying Christmas anymore. It is so over commercialized and so focused on presents. I wish people would donate money to help street kids/orphans instead of wasting it at Toys R Us :(
Post a Comment