Thursday, January 28, 2010

la bebita.

One of the girls from the bridge gave birth to a precious little girl on Sunday afternoon, and we're all so excited. I feel super invested in this baby's life because we found out together that she was pregnant, and I've been with her every step of the way. Except for just about 3 weeks, she lived on the streets the entire time she was pregnant. So it's pretty miraculous that she carried her daughter for 38 weeks and that she was born completely healthy. Praise God!

She and the baby moved into her mom's house out in the campo. They own their house, but it's the size of a closet - maybe 10' by 10' if not smaller. And it's mostly made out of bricks and mortar but not finished. The corners are open, and in some places the bricks are just stacked together without any mortar. They have a dirt floor, but since it's been pouring rain every day, their floor is pure mud. On one half of the room, they have a stack of bricks and random pieces of wood that they've covered with foam and blankets. The mom has 3 other kids besides her teenage daughter and new granddaughter, so the 5 of them plus the baby sleep there together.

The conditions are terrible, but that's all they can afford. And the mother/grandmother is a kind, caring woman. She used to live on the streets years ago, but her life has really turned around since then. She's incredibly excited and proud to be a grandmother and has so much she can teach her daughter about being a mother, which is a HUGE blessing.

Here are a few photos:







5 comments:

Kelly said...

Awww, what a cute baby! And a small house. Our old apartment was pretty tiny, but at least it was warm-ish (no drafts anyway) and we had water and stuff! I can't imagine trying to raise a family there!

Amy said...

I totally want to build them a house. That's so insanely not probable... But maybe I could get my loyal handiman to pour concrete or something...

Ken said...

What a beautiful family, eh? So cool that you're there for them. I'll be prayin'! Next time you come down, I'll send you back with some baby clothes! =)

Mrs. H in Costa Rica 2023 said...

beautiful!!! tell her felicidades...

Jennifer Beaty (Thompson) said...

Ground was broken a few days ago on their new house - SOOOO exciting and they are so grateful!!! :)